In many families there is little time for the needs of older relatives as well as young people, to develop meaningful connections. As a result, young people can feel overlooked, and elders forgotten. Both ends of the generational spectrum can feel marginalized, isolated, and disempowered. Participating in Sages & Seekers offers both generations positive interactions from which mutual respect, understanding and empathy can grow. These interactions strengthen the individual, as well as our communities.
• Build fundamental skills, such as respect and empathy,
• Strengthen social-emotional intelligence
• Acquire interviewing, listening, writing, public speaking skills
• Participate in a novel experiential learning curriculum
• Diminish marginalizing stereotypes about both young and old
• Gain a more personal historical perspective
• Form meaningful relationships free from invasive technologies
• Internalize a sense of connection with the community
• Feel encouraged to ask questions and develop interest in others
• Receive support from a non-judgmental mentoring relationship
• Develop an awareness of age-related discrimination
High School Program
What happened to the art of conversation?
"Our rapturous submission to digital technology has led to an atrophying of human capacities like empathy and self-reflection..."
Sherry Turkle, Reclaiming Conversation
More Seeker Comments
Sages & Seekers
Video of Seekers talking about program.